The population of White County, according to the United States census reports, has been as follows at the various decades mentioned: 1840, 920; 1850, 2,619; 1860, 8,316; 1870, 10,347; 1880, 17,794. He was with Price on his raid through Missouri, and also at the battle of Helens, where he was slightly wounded, but during his entire service in the war he was never once captured. Another son, William B., was a member of the One Hundred and Eleventh Tennessee Infantry, and after the war was a cotton factor of Memphis. Her father was in the Florida War, came to White County in 1844, and was for many years engaged in farming and in the tannery business, becoming quite wealthy. Chrisp settled in Gray Township on a timber tract of land, which he rented for a few years, and then, in 1867, purchased 240 acres, partly improved. The result of this union was the birth of the following children: William H. She died in 1885, having had three children, only one of whom survives, Lavina E., who is still living with her father. Cleveland was again married, in 1886, to Miss Nannie F.
Immigration to the county since 1880 has been so large that at the present its population must considerably exceed 20,000. At the time of the final surrender he was home on a furlough. Carodine rented a farm and began working it with nothing but his own exertion to depend on, yet it is not strange that he succeeded, for with his great determination of purpose, the lack of filthy lucre would not prevent him at least from making an attempt to cope with the many hardships incident to his start in life. Carter was early initiated into the duties of farm life, and received his education in the schools of Virginia. Carter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and socially Mr. His death occurred in 1851 and the mother's in 1887. This he sold, and bought forty acres in the timber which he immediately commenced clearing, erecting buildings, and added to this land from time to time until he now has 280 acres, with 100 acres under cultivation, besides a home farm of twenty acres just outside the corporation. (married, and resides on the subject's farm), Vinnie R. Goad, who is the mother of one daughter: Susan Estella. Cleveland is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Himself and wife are connected with the Missionary Baptist Church, in which they take an active part.
Lower down on Bull Creek were the settlements of Fielding and Frederick Price. It consists of a lot and good residence in Bainbridge, Putman County, Ind. In his political views he sides with the Democratic party. He was paroled in March of the last-mentioned year and taken to Point Lookout, thence to Richmond, and finally went on foot from Mississippi across the swamps to Southern Ark., where he joined the army. In 1867 he engaged in business continuously for thirty-four years, and is one of the oldest and most reliable merchants in Searcy. He then entered the ranks as private in the cavalry, and was temporarily promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel in front of Helena. He has been Worshipful Master of Searcy Lodge, and has held office in Chapter. is a well-known citizen of White County and was born in Macon, Fayette County, Tenn., June 19, 1838. Coffey, was a Presbyterian clergyman, and first saw the light of this world in Tennessee in November, 1805. Jesse Cypert, Sr., was married in 1802, then moved to Knox County, Tenn., where he farmed and resided until 1819, after which he moved to Wayne County, of the same State, and there his death occurred in 1858. Cypert's time in early life was divided between working on the farm, clearing and developing the home place, and in attending the subscription schools of Wayne County, Tenn., in a log-cabin with dirt floor, etc. Mack, of Wayne County, and was admitted to the bar at Waynesboro, Tenn., in 1849.
Lewis Vongrolman founded a German settlement on Big Creek and Little Red River with John Magness, Philip Hilger, James King, the Wishes, Yinglings and others. In 1878 he bought what is known as the Massey place (160 acres) and took up his residence at that place, remaining there until the fall of 1888. He has been a member of the school board for a number of years, and with his family worships at the Beebe Methodist Episcopal Church., Searcy, Ark. He is not active in politics but votes with the Democratic party, and held the office of justice of the peace for about four years. Mc Canley, a native of Tennessee, and the daughter of James and Mary (Fletcher) Mc Canley, natives of North Carolina. He was in the Missouri raid, participated in the battles of Pilot Knob, Ironton, Jefferson City, Newtonia and Mine Creek. He is practically a self-made man and all his property is the result of his own industry. He was given all the advantages for an education to be had at that time, and applied himself so assiduously to his studies, that he became an accomplished and finely educated gentleman. He was a private in the War of 1812, Tennessee Volunteer, Carroll's brigade, and was in the battle of New Orleans under Gen. He was sheriff and collector one term, and justice of the peace and member of the county court for a number of years. Later he attended the district schools of that State. Subsequently he went to Walker County, Ga., engaged as clerk, and in May, 1858, came to Crittenden County, Ark., and began practicing at Marion.
Philip Hilger established and kept the Hilger's Ferry across Little Red River, on the old military road leading from Cape Girardeau to Little Rock. He then purchased the rolling stock in the livery business, which he is now successfully conducting. Among the most skilled and reliable druggists of Searcy may be classed Mr. He was appointed postmaster under President Buchanan and served four years. Her parents immigrated at an early day to Tennessee, and in 1851 came to White County, Ark., where both passed their last days. He returned to White County, Ark., from Fayetteville, and engaged in farming, but later was occupied for about a year in merchandising in Searcy. Although fifty-five years of age he has never drank a drop of liquor., eminently fitted and well worthy to be numbered among the successful farmers and stockmen of White County, Ark., is a son of John B. (Thomason) Claiborn, the former a Tennesseean of Irish descent and the latter a native of North Carolina. He was married in his native State November 12, 1835, to Miss Mary C. Here he remained for eight months, and in February, 1851, came to Searcy, Ark., where he began the practice of law and this has continued successfully ever since. Smith, a merchant of West Point, She died in February, 1886, and left one child, Eugene Austin, and the subject of this sketch is rearing this child. Cypert takes an active interest in all that pertains to the good of the county, and is one of the pioneers of the temperance cause.
Its boundary lines are as follows: Beginning in Range 3 west, at the point where White River crosses the line dividing Townships 9 and 10 north; thence west on the township line to the line dividing Ranges 5 and 6 west; thence north on the range line to the line dividing Townships 10 and 11 north; thence west on the township line to the line dividing Ranges 7 and 8 west; thence south on the range line to Little Red River; thence up said river, in a westerly direction, following its meanders, to the middle of Range 8 west; thence south on section lines to the line dividing Townships 8 and 9 north; thence west on the township line to the line dividing Ranges 10 and 11 west; thence south on the range line to Cypress Creek in Township 5 north; thence down Cypress Creek following its meanders to the line dividing Ranges 5 and 6 west; thence north on the range line to the line dividing Townships 5 and 6 north; thence east on the township line to White River; thence up White River following its meanders to the last crossing of the line dividing Townships 7 and 8 north; thence west on the township line to the southwest corner of Section 35, Township 8 north, Range 4 west; thence north on section lines until White River is again intersected; thence up the river following its meanders to the place of beginning; containing an area of 1,015 square miles, or 650,000 acres. Although his principal occupation has been farming he has been engaged in other occupations at different times, and in 1873 erected a livery stable in Beebe, the first establishment of the kind ever erected there. M., and has held all the offices of his lodge with the exception of Senior Warden. Canada was the only man in Union Township who voted for him. (born October 27, 1852, and died December 7, 1856), Almeda (born November 10, 1855, and died June 3, 1857), William R. (was born September 17, 1860, and is a farmer of Union Township), Martha A. (West) Montgomery, the former of North Carolina and the latter of Monroe County, Ark. Her parents came to White County in 1855, and there their deaths occurred a number of years ago, the mother in about 1874, and the father in 1885. He now is the owner of 280 acres, with ninety under cultivation, which he has made by hard work and economy. Carter belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which he is trustee, and officiated as class leader for several years., one of the members of the popular and well-known Enterprise Basket and Box Company, manufacturers of fruit and vegetable boxes, etc., was born in Elkhart County, Ind., in 1844, and was the youngest of three children born to B. and Joanna (Calkins) Cathcart, the former having been born in that State in 1818, his youthful days being also there. Cathcart is still living, but his parents, James and Paulina, have long been dead. After being paroled he went back to Indiana, and was married there, in 1872, to Miss Anna Snyder, a daughter of William and Lavina (Knight) Snyder, natives of Pennsylvania. Cathcart was in the railroad business for about thirteen years, as clerk and station agent on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad. R., a Republican in his political views and is one of the aldermen of Judsonia. spent his youthful days on a farm raising fruit and in attending the public schools of Indiana.
Of this about 12,000 acres belong to the United States, 27,000 to the State, 81,000 to the St. He managed this a few months and at the same time acted as constable, and later served as justice of the peace for eight years. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and is one of the influential men of the county, and although he differs from the most of the citizens in his political views, yet he is highly esteemed and his opinions respected. He has always been an advocate of schools and has contributed liberally to the building of churches, school-houses and to the general improvement of the county. (born April 26, 1858; is a merchant in business with C. (was born October 15, 1869, and is a school teacher, residing with her parents) and Mary M. Carnes passed his early life in duties upon the farm and in securing an education in the common schools of Tennessee. He was married in White County in 1875 to Miss Anna Montgomery, a native of White County and daughter of J. They were the parents of three children: Sally Mattie, Neelly and an infant. Carnes has seen many changes in the country since coming here in 1868, and has always taken an interest in the country. On August 28, 1870, he was married to Miss Emma Ward, also a native of Panola County, Miss., and who was born April 22, 1854. Carter is a prominent Democrat, and was elected to the office of constable in 1882, which office he held for six years. His children are Royal (who died in infancy) and Harrison (who served in Company K, Ninth Indiana Regiment, and was killed at the battle of Shiloh). Calkins, an aunt of his first wife, the children of this marriage being Anna and Royal W. Resigning his position as agent in 1881, he engaged in the manufacturing business with his brother, J. In 1885 they moved their machinery to White County, Ark., and established the Enterprise Basket and Box Company, known as the Cathcart Bros. He engaged in the manufacturing business while still a resident of his native State, and after coming to Arkansas in 1885, engaged in the same calling.